I recently researched the article for my doctoral dissertation on one of it’s often referred to, as far as I know, but what I’d like to know more details about the result of my research focus group what I learned is that I want to share with you the details. Here‘s the translation of the book, Zeynep Özata Malhotra focus groups:
Focus groups, is the most commonly used qualitative data collection method in the application. Focus group, a trained moderator when managing an unnatural environment, a smaller group is negotiated. Moderator directs the debate. The main purpose of the focus group, a group consisting of the appropriate target audience, his interest in topic discussions of the investigative hearing is to have a deep understanding of the right to the issue. The actual value of the technique are the band’s free flight discussion lies in the unexpected findings that arise.
A focus group usually includes 8-12 people. Less than eight people groups is necessary for a successful session, the emergence of the group dynamics and acceleration is not sufficient for. Similarly, 12 people at the top of the group, adaptable and natural for a discussion of the over-crowded. A focus group, a demographic and socio economic characteristics should be homogeneous in terms of. In addition, participants, certain conditions must be examined carefully to ensure that they are ported to. Participants will discuss the subject or object must have the appropriate experience about. Many focus group work katış people should be avoided. These individuals are, in a sense they become professional participants and it can cause a significant validation problem.
Focus groups are also very physical environments is an important issue. Comment on relaxing and informal environments will be help of spontaneous. It takes about 1.5 – 2 hour focus group are usually together, this time up to 3 hours. Focus group interviews, recorded on video for later analysis and analysis. Video footage of the participants to examine the movements of the face and body, although with very useful in terms of costs and cause. At the same time, the focus group participants were not able to see and a mirror can be traced to a hidden room behind (focus group participants, and the camera recorded, watched this room provides information on both).
The success of the focus group moderators has an important role. Establish a friendly relationship with the participants, the moderator of the debate and the progress of the participants should direct a particular approach to bring out.
Focus groups, this can use different variations of the standard application. Some of these are as follows;
Two-way focus group: in this method, a target group that is associated with another group listens and learns some things. For example, a group of doctors, who has arthritis, we have discussed methods of treatment of patients in one group. Then this discussion is done in a separate focus group work with a doctor who listens to.
Two moderated groups: there are two focus group moderator. One of them, and the other important issues from discussion of the session responsible for providing.
The duel has two moderators here moderators: who but this is located in opposite ends of the topic discussed in the moderators. In this way, a topic examined both aspect.
Exhibitor-moderator groups: Moderator, group dynamics of activation of one of the participants for a temporary period to act as moderator.
Mini groups: these groups consist of a moderator and 4 – 5 participants. These groups requires a more detailed probing of the subject studied and it is 8 – 12 persons group is not possible.
Tele multi-session groups: are sessions that are made via the telephone.
Online focus groups: groups that performed in the Internet environment focus constitutes an increasingly common type.
FOKUS groups according to many other data collection method has the advantage;
- Synergy: a group of people compared to the single call to get information out, it will be a lot more understanding and insight.
- Snowball effect: one person’s comment put forward will trigger a chain reaction of other participants.
- Warning: a brief introduction to the phase after the excitement of the Group Usually increases, the participants will share their ideas and feelings, specify the request.
- Security: the participants will be similar with other members of the Group feelings, participants express their thoughts and feelings will feel more comfortable.
- Spontaneous car not to answer specific questions from Participants:, spontaneous reactions. This is true about the participants ‘ feedback on the ideas.
- Chance of finding something unexpected: a personal interview in unexpected ideas compared to focus group is more likely to occur.
- Specialization: due to the large number of participants, well educated but expensive rater is used.
- Structure: the structure allows the flexibility of the group interview.
- Speed: more than one participant at the same time as görüşüldüğünden, data collection and analysis processes.
On the other hand, the disadvantages of the focus group can be summarized as follows;
- Incorrect usage: instead of exact findings findings Results explorative assess focus groups as misuse can lead to.
- Get the wrong idea: Focus Group results, other than the results from the data collection methods more false reasons.
- Management: Focus groups is very difficult to manage. The study’s quality largely depends on the moderator.
- Excuse the lack of coding, analysis and comment Replies structured: the processes. This also causes the mess of focus group data. For example, a 90-minute interview, imposition of a 30-page meeting report and this report of major results through a difficult and time-consuming job.
- General Society of focus group studies: represents does not represent. Therefore, the focus group results when taking decisions should not be used alone.
Use of focus group field is quite wide. Some of them can be listed as follows;
- Regarding consumer perception of a product category, preferences and understanding behavior
- New product ideas to get about impressions,
- Produce new ideas about old products,
- Develop creative ideas for ads and materials,
- Sunday programs specific consumer reaction.
Source: Malhotra, Nk (2004). Marketing Research: An Applied Orientation (Fourth Edition). Pearson Education International.